Thursday, February 25, 2016

Everyday: Exploration #2

everyday

exploration #2



Hello!
Today I'm brining you another exploration post!
These are probably one of my favorites to put together for you guys because it means I get to explore weird things and find beautiful stuff! Along with all of that though, this time I went exploring and I got even more than I expected. 
The picture above is part of what is remaining of the Pendleton Oil Mill! While I wasn't able to get into the mill this time, I was able to talk to a few people throughout the town and gathered some interesting knowledge on this lovey piece of history.
I have a TON of pictures to show you so I'll be sure to attach some facts to anything I gained knowledge about. 
Have fun exploring through my pictures! 


The building above, located right next to the train tracks, was a warehouse for the mill. The mill was placed right along the railroad tracks for easy shipping purposes. 




This building located directly right to the first warehouse is another warehouse. I wish I could have gotten in here to show you everything that was left behind, but it was entirely too risky for a mid-afternoon exploration that was so out in the open.


You're probably wondering why in the world this picture is here, but if you look really closely through this door -which is part of the picture above this one- you can see what is left of a few spindles of thread on a machine. 


This dilapidated building is what was left of what I believe to be where they stored the fertilizer before use. The fertilizer part of the plant, if I'm not mistaken, was added when one of the son's of the owner came back from war and saw that there was a profit to be made with a fertilizer business, and also a need for it in the town of Pendleton. 




Right down these tracks and to the right is where you will find the cotton mill. After oil was extracted from the seed it was then sent to the cotton mill to be made into fabric. I'd never before seen a mill that operated in this fashion or even knew that it was possible to be done that way.


While the mill had become mostly a pile of rubbish over the years there is so much history left to be seen. The owner still does some work there every now and then, but because of the chemicals that were used in all of these processes it's almost impossible to use the land for anything. 


This photo gives you a little look as too what the mill used to look like. There aren't many pictures from before the mill was starting to decompose, but even this photo is much more than what is left now. 


Above is a picture of where the cotton seeds were taken after the oil was extracted.
This is the cotton mill, if my memory serves me correctly this mill was purchased from the owner of the oil plant at some point over the years. The road leading up to this mill had totally been closed down.

I can't say for sure, but I believe this is the back of the mill. There seemed to be a picnic area where workers would have eaten on lunch break, and a few other small buildings surrounding the mill itself that looked to be storage warehouses.


I'd have to say without a doubt in my mind this is the creepiest exploration I have done. However, I was alone, I had just read and heard some history on the buildings, it was a very gloomy day, and I kept hearing noises in the cotton mill. With that said, this was also one of my favorite exploration, because, even though I didn't get inside this time, I was able to learn a lot about the history of the mill itself and found a lot of people that were willing to talk to me about the beauty in the abandonment!

Now get up off your butts and find some cool things in your area to explore!!!
Thanks for stopping by,
Paige 

** Please Comply to all No Trespassing signs when you explore!!!**







No comments:

Post a Comment